Green & Sustainable Efforts
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort has always been environmentally conscious – however in 2021 we began an earnest journey to become a zero-waste model hotel. We have joined Vancouver Island Green Business Collective and have worked with them to review our practices. We are very proud to say that we have achieved and maintained a Green Rating – their highest recognition for 2 years. We are proud to be a part of sustainable tourism practices and take great pride in being a registered Gold Tier Partner in the The Den’s Sustainable and Circular Accommodation Program.
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, to demonstrate our commitment to improving the sustainability performance of our business between now and 2030.
Effective April 1, 2023, we’re partnering with veritree to support reforesting, rewilding, and restoring nature. Now, for every night you stay with us and opt-out of stayover room cleaning service we will plant 5 kelp! We’ve chosen to plant kelp off the Pacific Coast of British Columbia. Not only will these kelp act as carbon sinks, help to restore our ecosystems, and support biodiversity. But when you choose to opt-out of stayover servicing, you’re also reducing energy expenditure and saving water! To learn more about the species of kelp we’re planting, the impacts of the project we’re supporting, and to see our collective progress to-date visit our Impact Hub.
The UN World Tourism Organization defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
Each year, we commit to measuring and improving our sustainability performance in the following ways:
- All our cleaning products are locally made, natural cleaning product – Mint Cleaning.
- Offering our guests – Oneka Elements as our in room bath amenities – removing the single use plastic. Oneka Elements is a Canadian company that has created a high-quality product.
- Forage – our gift shop features local arts and crafts.
- We do not have any single use plastics in our restaurants or Forage
- We support local wherever we can.
By choosing our accommodation, you are committing to using all natural products, scented with pure essential oils that are healthy for you, your family and the environment. We actively engage in a closed loop system that creates zero waste.
We continue to be an Oceanwise member, and we are Surf Rider Ocean Friendly business. Our F&B team always work towards getting it local. We source as much of our food as possible through the Tofino Ucluelet Culinary Guild. We offer local Vancouver Island beverages.
We review our water usage and are working to make changes in our consumption. We have implemented a Volunteer policy for our Employees to take a paid day off to volunteer at the organization of their choice. We support our local charitable organizations from Food Bank on the Edge, Wild Pacific Trail Society, Raincoast Education, we also donate 50% of our pet fees to our local CARE (Coastal Animal Rescue & Education) Network. Our Gift Shop supports local artists, and gives our guests the opportunity to purchase our amenities and start their own refill program.
This is our commitment to keeping our guests and staff healthy, and the local environment pristine.
Our Green team is focusing on being more:
- environmentally sound by reducing the impacts of growth on natural resources and the environment
- economically productive by making local investments that will protect human and natural resources
- socially just by providing equitable access to resources and decision making processes in ways that benefit all parts of the community
Our Current Initiatives
- Conserve Energy
- Limit Water Waste
- Serve Local Food
- Linen and towel reuse programs
- Eco-friendly cleaning products
- Naturally derived guest amenities, healthful products help to support the honeybee and sustainable pollination research.
Director, Sales & Marketing
|tel:||250.726.4808 or 1.877.266.2559|
Director, Sales & Marketing
250.726.4808 or 1.877.266.2559